Wednesday, February 8, 2012

This Going in the book Too.

(This is going in the book too, pending some editing of course)



A Letter to My Daughter



Its entirely likely that you might not think very highly of me. Granted, I’m not a perfect man, by any stretch of the imagination. There maybe was a time when I might’ve even considered myself at least a good man, but I really don’t anymore. I’m just a guy, with more failings than I would’ve imagined, or thought possible. I was hoping to give you some pearls of wisdom, but lets be honest. I’m not sure you’re really ready for them right now, and I’m not sure I’m particularly all that wise anyway. You are only three right now, so we’re still kind of beginning somewhat, you as a child, and me as a parent.

I know you’ll make your own decisions in life, marriage, career, family, faith, and everything, and somehow I’m supposed to help you prepare for all that. That’s really kind of laughable though if you think about it. I’ve failed at everything I’ve ever done, and failed as a man more times than I count. The only thing I can really do is show you how to pick somebody that’s not like me. The silly thing about this is, probably by the time you read this, hopefully I’ve shown how to avoid ending up like me, and finding somebody that will really care about you, and look out for you.

I have loved you since I first saw your little heart light up in that ultrasound. You looked like a gummy bear that was glowing in the dark, or something. It was one of the most amazing things I’d ever seen in my life. Seeing you born topped that of course, you were just this tiny little person, I had never been around somebody so small before. I guess I kind of took on a roll as your protector from that moment on. Its so weird how in a split second you become a defender of somebody, who just suddenly appeared all of a sudden.

Being your dad, has turned me into something I didn’t know I could be. I had suddenly become your protector and defender. I think that comes with looking out for someone smaller than you, and really from seeing your child face to face for the first time. So I thank you, for having such a massive impact, that words are only occasionally able to express properly. Having a child come into the world is one of the single greatest things that can happen to you. There is nothing but unimaginable happiness, and tremendous worry at making sure that someone so fragile is protected and looked after. Its sort of a feeling that stays with you, even as I grow older, and as you do too.

I remember that I wanted to be the first to hold your hand. And somewhere in there, you grabbed my finger with your little hand. You had the most pitiful sounding crying too. Every time I hear you cry, it makes me want to cry too. Anyway you’ve really started the process of leaving being a small baby, to being a toddler, and little lady. It’s a joy to be your daddy, and a delight to see you with this boundless energy that you have, and pass on to others.

I suppose I’m really writing this with two different times in mind. The one now where you’re still just kind of starting on life in many ways, and the time down the road, where you’re learning to drive, and going to college, or something, and looking to do what it is you feel God called you to do. I’m hoping that I’m doing what I can to prepare you for life. So I guess we’ll see how it goes. In life you will find people who will love you, and people who will try to destroy you, but you will always have your daddy in your corner to defend, and help you through whatever decisions you make.

I am not a perfect man, and hope I will have done my best in raising you. But for now you’re just a three year old, still new to life in many ways. And I just wanted to tell you that whatever comes your way, I love you.







Love,

Daddy.

1 comment:

  1. Bawwwwww. I think I should avoid doing something like this if I have kids, I think it's best they don't know who I used to be.

    ReplyDelete