Friday, August 31, 2012

Gutting a Story But For a Good Reason

I think I need to completely trash a story, but it should be alright.  I'm only about 3 pages in, and I think I found a better direction to use anyway.  It was starting to sort of stall on me, and I think if I change it up a little, it might flow better.  And hurray and hurrah, I'm making some progress on my little mystery too.  I think in another week or two, I'm going to have something that'll make sense and something I can work with.  Tonight I've been trying to get a rhythm going, and I'm actually having a halfway decent time of it.  I've been trying to visualize the story before I type, which has been helpful, but I could probably stand to make sure I do a better job of relating the imagery to the reader.  That's a little problem I've need to do a more thorough job of. 

I've been trying to tiptoe through my stories a bit at this point, and make sure things are going right, but its just taking a while, and it doesn't help, I'm being goofy on Twitter, or watching Rambo movies and stuff.  Ah well, can't always be creating literary masterpieces all the time, now can I? 

2 comments:

  1. If you did it all the time it would feel too much like a job. I think I would always have problems trashing a story. Keeping it on the backburner for a few years I can, and have, done. I don't think I could ever outright scrap something though. Imagery is something I fail at. I can see something in my head perfectly, but I always worry about being too descriptive, as well as just failing at being descriptive anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps to fill out some pages sometimes, and I've noticed its helps the story distinguish who's who, so the reader isn't seeing the same guy just with different names either.

      Delete